Saturday, May 21, 2005

Sanity of Indian Movies

I remember how I despised the storyline and plot of Hindi movies. How we used to laugh at emotional scenes and cry in the "humorous" ones. I remember the first movie I had to leave halfway through in a hall. It was "Yeh Dillagi" casting if-but-jutt and Mahima aunty I guess. Another one was the creative copy of Run-Lola-Run, ek din chaubees ghante. It was such a pathetic copy that there is nothing more I can think about it.

Anyway so after office hours I have nothing to do here. And I have no energy left to roam around or explore this city. So I picked up two of these 3-in-1 DVDs of Hindi superhits from one and only talked about store here, where I can get Indian stuff. They have another of my saviours ......the MTR food packets. God bless MTR's soul. Yeah the movies .....Ahhhh!! they are such a relief in this alien land that I totally understand why overseas market have become such an important market for Ghais, Chopras et. al. You identify with something other than yourself away from everybody you know. One DVD is MunnaBhai MBBS, Khoobsurat, Daud combo. Other combo is Hum-Tum, Main hun na and Kal ho na ho. Most watched is obviuosly MunnaBhai MBBS. Its such a great movie and Sanju baba has given such a fantabulous performance that I keep it running when ever I am in my room. The other characters , Circuit, and other side kicks, Zaheer Bhai, Munna's mom, all are just too much in this movie. Totally natural and totally flawless. Some of my favourites dialouge. "Poor people-hungry people" Goes perfectly with my current condition with no salary and a loan of 77000 yen. :). Another is "To lagta hai kya mast life hai" Sometime....no everytime I feel that way on Friday evenings coming out of my office. Over that it is set in Mumbai. The city where I spent the golden years of my life. I was going to call these most productive years but I know no-one will agree. Yeah so the taxi chase scene, carrom scenes all take me back to mumbai. Its good to be reminded that there is a place where you are not uncomfortable on the road. You know that no-one will check your I-card. Though this will be done most politely here but still why ? Here the foreign visitor I-card is called Alien Card, how apt. Its a totally alien world. People here say that its worst for asian in west though I always thought otherwise. So I guess parting comment should be East or West, India is the best. India rocks man!!

2 Comments:

At 11:42 AM, May 21, 2005, Blogger himanshu agrawal said...

yaad mat dilao Yeh Dillagi ki.. juhu beach pe masti karne ke baad shaan-takij main dekhi thi yeh pain movie.. iff-but-jatt akele nahin, unke chote bandar-bhai bhi teh.. mahima ki jagah urmila thi.. pathetic movie.. when a small goat eats some grass leaves, urmila explaims "aree dekho, bakri ghaas khaa rahi hai.. he he" as if hum sab to andhe hain, dikhai na de raha..
and regd the other point, india is really the best place.. after a long time, i went to a non-multiplex to watch a movie, and so got the opportunity to sing the national anthem.. felt proud and at the same time happy that i still remember it..

 
At 5:04 AM, May 23, 2005, Blogger Varun Singh said...

Should've taken lotsa vcds along! :)) But seriously we under-rate bollywood movies a lot. they're goofy, they're stupid -- but they're Indian ;-) Their true value can be known to only those who are far from them! No movies this weekend.. was it empty?! Could it be any more empty?
Bought, SHOLAY & 3 Gurudutt movies ka VCD last night! Aaj raat movie fest! Feature finished & submitted! Yippeeeeee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home